Watermelon Gazpacho is a refreshing and delicious cold soup, perfect for warm summer days. It is bursting with sweet, spicy, tangy, and amazing flavors.
What is Gazpacho?
Gazpacho is a cold soup made of raw vegetables and usually served chilled.It is mostly popular in Spain during summer months because of it’s refreshing and cooling propperties.
Basically vegetables which consists of more water are used to make gazpacho like cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers. Traditionally gaz[acho was made by pounding vegetables in pestle and mortar but nowadays people often make it in blender or food processor.
Watermelon gazpachi is another variation of classic gazpacho soup and it tastes absoulteyl refreshing. This gazpacho is a perfect appetizer for hot summer days to make you feel satisfied.
The refreshing watermelon when combined with all of the vegetables and spices is just bursting with flavors.
Ingredients needed to make Gazpacho
- First, Watermelon-Fresh juicy ripe watermelons are used to make the soup. I prefer to use small watermelons as they don’t have seeds or very tiny ones.
- Cucumbers-I prefers English cucumbers but you could always make it with regular cucumbers.
- Red bell pepper-To add in nice red color and taste in the gazpacho.
- Mint and Parsley/Coriander-Fresh herbs add a nice refreshing flavor to the soup. I would highly suggest using them.
- Lemon juice/Vinegar-To balance all the sweetness from watermelon and peppers, lemon juice or vinegar is required
How to make watermelon Gazpacho?
As it is a cold soup so no cooking involved. All you need to do is gather your ingredients and blitz them in blender or food processor. Keep refrigerated and serve chilled.
For more refreshing flavors and taste make sure to make it just before you are ready to serve. I won’t suggest storing it or making it ahead as it won’t taste good. Watermelon retains it’s flavors best when consumed within the day.
Variations and Tips of Watermelon Gazpacho:-
For variations, add tri-color bell peppers in it. You could also add some chili powder, chaat masala to bring extra flavors.
Make sure to not add any extra water as the watermelon and vegetables are already water based.
If you want to store this soup, you could try but according to ayurveda watermelon should be consumed the within the same hour of cutting.
- 2 cups watermelon slices
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves or parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Few mint leaves
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- salt to taste
- Blitz all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Keep refrigerated and serve chilled.