Rose Shrikhand is a flavorful and delicious sweet yogurt-based dish made with hung curd and rose petals syrup. It tastes amazing when served chilled.
What is Shrikhand?
Shrikhand is Indian sweet dish made with strained yogurt/ hung curd where you remove all the excess water from yogurt by hanging it in a cheese cloth and make it just like cheese.
Later on some flavorings like cardamom, saffron etc are added along with sugar and dried fruits and nuts. It depends on personal choice to add the flavorings and toppings , sometimes it is available in fruits flavors like mango shrikhand as well.
Basic Ingredients for Shrikhand:-
The basic ingredients to make rose shrikhand are listed below.
- Firstly, Yogurt-Homemade or store bought greek yogurt will be perfect fro the recipe.
- Rose petals-Fresh edible rose petals or dry ones in case you van’t source fresh.
- Sweetener-Sugar or honey or any desired sweetener will work fine for the dish
How to make Rose Shrikhand?
To make rose shrikhand the first thing you will need to do is put yogurt in cheesecloth on top of a bowl and keep it refrigerated for a few hours to overnight. This process will remove all the excess water from yogurt.
Now all you need to do is add sugar, rose syrup and keep the shrikhand in refrigerator to serve chilled.
Serving Suggestions and Variations:-
If you are using greek yogurt then it will take less time than normal or homemade yogurt. Once your yogurt is strained then all you need to do is add sweetener and flavorings and serve the shrikhand chilled. For this recipe as we are making rose flavor, you will also need to make the rose syrup by boiling rose petals with water and sugar or you may use gulkand as well instead.
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 kg yogurt homemade or greek style
- 10-12 rose petals fresh or dried + more to decorate
- 2 tablespoon honey or powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk optional
- In a mixing bowl put a large sieve and cover with cheesecloth. Add the yogurt on the cheesecloth and close it from all sides of cheesecloth, make it circular ball-like and tie the ends.
- Place this set up in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- In a saucepan add 1/2 cup of water and rose petals along with a teaspoon of sugar. Cool it for a few minutes until the water is half in volume. Strain and let it cool.
- Now in another mixing bowl add the trained yogurt, add in honey or sugar, rose syrup and mix well. Add milk if it is too thick and mix well.
- Keep rose shrikhand in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
- If you are using greek yogurt then it will take less time than normal or homemade yogurt.
- Once your yogurt is strained then all you need to do is add sweetener and flavorings and serve the shrikhand chilled.
- For . rose flavor, you will also need to make the rose syrup by boiling rose petals with water and sugar or you may use gulkand as well instead.
- You may use other flavors, fruits, dry fruits etc.