Rava idli is a very healthy, and tasty instant idli recipe that can be enjoyed as breakfast and or a filling lunch.
What is Rava idli?
Idli is a savory rice cake made with a fermented batter of rice and black lentils and this Rava idli is the variation of it, made with semolina. This version is quite easier to make, it is instant and doesn’t need fermentation or waiting time.
Rava idli is very popular in the stare of Karnatka and is served with saagu and coconut chutney. Sometimes a little bit of ghee is poured on steaming hot Rava idlis right before serving.
Basic Ingredients for Idli:
- Firstly-Semolina/Rava-Use coarse semolina to make idlis but in case you have fine one you may use that too.
- Yogurt-Adds a bit of sourness into the batter.
- Cashews – For the crunch and wonderful taste.
- Spices-Only minimal spices are needed in the recipe.
How to make Rava Idli?
As this process does not need fermentation so basically it is very easy to make these idlis. Gather all your ingredients and combine them in a mixing bowl. After that, the batter just needs to be rested for 20-30 minutes and that’s all.
Once the batter is rested the final thing is to add the tempering and steam the idlis in a preheated idli steamer.
Serving Suggestions for Rava Idli:-
Rava idlis go very well with coconut chutney but of course, these can be served with tomato-onion, peanut or any other chutney of your preference. I personally like enjoying the Rava idli with Sambhar and coconut chutney.
EQUIPMENT OF Rava Idli :-
- Idli Maker
- 2 cups semolina, fine
- 1 cup yogurt
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon curry leaves
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon eno fruit salt or soda
- water as required
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 whole red chilli, broken in pieces
- 1 tablespoon cashew nuts, broken.
- In a mixing bowl add semolina, yogurt, and salt. Mix until it combines.
- Add one cup of water and let the mixture sit for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan add a teaspoon of oil, once heated add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves.
- Let the seeds splutter and then add whole red chili, urad dal, cashew nuts, turmeric, and onions.
- Saute until onions are soft and add this tempering on the semolina yogurt mixture.
- Stir all ingredients and finally add salt and eno fruit salt.
- Heat a steamer and grease idli maker with oil. Add a ladleful of batter in each stand.
- Steam cook for 15 minutes. Remove the idlis from the stand with a spoon.
- Serve warm with coconut chutney.
To make the idli more healthy you can addchopped vegetables like carrots, beans etc.