Pineapple Rava Kesari is a rich and delicious semolina and pineapple sweet dish that popularly made in Southern India and tastes absolutely amazing. Craving for some easy and quick dessert, then this dish is just for you.
What is Rava Kesari?
Rava keasri is a famous sweet dish of South India, normally served not only as a dessert but also as breakfast and is made with simple ingredients like semolina, ghee and sugar which are readily available in the pantry.
As such Rava Kesari is made in most of the South Indian states but it is more popular in Karnataka and made for the festival of Ugadi. They have a savory version of this dish called kara bhat, when both sweet and savory versions are served together then it is known as chow chow bath.
Ingredients Needed to make Pineapple Kesari:-
- Semolina: Coarse semolina/rava makes perfect grainy texture.
- Pineapple: Ripe and sweet pineapple tastes best in the dish.
- Sugar: To adjust the sweetness.
- Ghee: Pineapple rava kesari tastes best when made with ghee. For making it vegan use oil.
- Cardamom: To add flavors.
- Saffron: To give that orange-yellow hue to the halwa. You can also use food colorings.
- Cashew nuts: For some nuttiness.
How to make pineapple Rava kesari ?
Step 1. Prepare the Pineapple– Cut pineapple into pieces, remove the hard center. Cook these pieces with some water until they become soft. Now make a paste using a blender and sieve it to remove any fiber.
Step 2. Roast Cashew nuts– Roast the cashew nuts with a teaspoon of ghee in a pan until slightly golden.
Step 3. Roast Semolina– Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan and roast the semolina for few minutes to let it just fragrant without changing color. Turn off the heat and keep covered.
Step 4. For sweetener-Boil water with saffron and cardamom and set aside for use later.
Step 5. Make Pineapple Rava Kesari– Now heat the pan containing roasted semolina. Add cooked pineapple paste in it. Stir and add the sweetened water prepared above. Let it cook on slow until it starts thickening. Cook for desired thickness
Serving Suggestions and Variations
For a variation, you can make Rava kesariwith your preferred fruits and add your favorite dried fruits and nuts in it.
- Heavy Bottom Pan
- 1 cup coarse semolina /rava/suzi
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cashew nut
- 2 cups water
- few saffron strands
- 2-3 green cardamom crushed
- 1/2 cup ghee
- In a pan add pineapple pieces with 1/4 cup water. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes or until pineapple is soft.
- Now make a fine paste of the cooked pineapple in a blender and sieve it remove any fiber.
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a pan and roast cashew nuts. Remove cashew nuts and set aside.
- Into the same pan add rest of the ghee and add semolina and start roasting it on low to medium heat for 5-7 minutes to let it just fragrant avoiding any change of color. Meanwhile in another pan boil water with sugar, saffron, and cardamom, keeping the flame low.
- Now into the semolina add roasted cashew nuts and cooked pineapple paste into and mix well.
- Finally add the hot sugar cardamom water and keep stirring on low heat till it starts thickening .
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
- Use coarse semolina to make the grainy textured rava kesari.
- For color you can add food coloring as well.
- Add more or less ghee as per your desired taste.
- I have used less sugar as my pineapple was sweet enough. You may add as per your taste.
- This rava kesari tastes better when made with ripe pineapple.
Always let me know how this recipe turned out in the comments below and give a ★ rating. I get so excited to hear how you enjoyed your Pineapple Rava Kesari and please do share your tips and tricks with me.