Mango Kheer is the favorite summer dessert of North India, serve it warm or chilled, either way, this kheer is just an amazing sweet indulgence.
What is Mango Kheer?
Mango Kheer is Indian style summer special mango and rice pudding or dessert made when mangoes are in season.
To make this kheer try using the sweet varieties of mango like Alphonso or Kesar mango and full-fat milk.
The best way of knowing that your kheer has cooked perfectly is when the milk is reduced to half of its volume and you get a slightly thicker mango kheer or rice pudding.
Basic Ingredients for Mango Kheer:-
- Firstly, Rice- A good quality of rice preferably basmati or broken basmati makes a very nice creamy and delicious kheer.
- Mango-Sweet Alphonso or kesar mango. Tinned mango puree can be used instead.
- Milk- Other than rice the next main thing is milk, you can use any kind of milk but to make the rice and creamy kind of kheer, do try to use full-fat whole milk.
- Sweetener- Sugar, honey or jaggery can be used for sweetness in the dish.
- Nuts/Saffron/Cardamom-Use any kind of your favorite nuts, raisins and or saffron, cardamom, rose water for that unique flavor and texture.
How to make Mango Kheer?
Mango kheer is the easiest and very simple sweet dessert you would ever make. First of all, boil the milk, add in the soaked rice. Now simmer on low until the milk reduces in half and rice is soft and mushy
The next step is adding mango puree, sugar, nuts, and flavorings. After that just cook the kheer on low for a few more minutes and kheer will be done.
Serving suggestions of Mango Kheer :-
Either serve the mango kheer warm or chilled. To chill the kheer place it in the refrigerator for a few hours. Whatever way you prefer it is going to be just amazing. Pair it with Paratha, dum aloo, chole bahutra, or any of your favorite dishes.
- Heavy Bottom Pan
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1/2 cup sugar or to taste
- dash of saffron optional
- 2 tablespoon nuts, cashew,almonds and raisins
- 1 mango, pureed
- Wash and soak basmati rice in enough water and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan and add washed and drained rice.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron strands and allow it to cook till rice and milk combines with each other or until the color of milk changes.
- The flame should be low and stir frequently in between.
- Add sugar and nuts and raisins and cook again for some time or until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down a bit then add mango puree.Garnish with chopped nuts and serve chilled.
- Full cream milk makes the kheer more rich and delicious.
- You can add toasted nuts, raisins, etc. to make the kheer way more interesting.
- Roast the nuts and raisins in a teaspoon of ghee before adding to the kheer.
- To make the kheer vegan use any nut or soy milk.
- You may also use the storebought tinned mango puree.