Bread upma is a simple and tasty savory breakfast dish made with leftover bread, tomato onion, and some spices.
What is Bread Upma?
Upma is a favorite, quick, and easy breakfast dish made with leftover bread. Just like the traditional Upma, it is made with similar ingredients and the same way.
This upma can also be served as a tea time snack in the evenings or after school snack for kids as well.
Basic Ingredients for Bread Upma:
- Firstly, Bread-Brown, whole wheat, or white sandwich bread.
- Onions-Add a nice texture in the dish.
- Tomato and Green Chili-For a little tang and spiciness.
- Spices- Turmeric, Red Chilli, Coriander Powder, and Garam masala.
- Curry leaves
How to make Bread Upma ?
upma is very easy to make, all you need to do is cook the onions and tomatoes with spices until soft. Add in the bread pieces and mix until it combines well with the everything.
Drizzle some lemon juice, add some fresh coriander leaves and serve the upma right away.
Make sure to not over cook the upma or else bread will become soggy.
Serve the upma with tomato ketchup and tea.
- 2 cups bread pieces cut in squares
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- few curry leaves
- 2 dry whole red chilli broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice optional
- a pinch asafetida
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves chopped
- Cut the bread into square pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafetida, cumin, dry whole red chilli, mustard seeds, and curry leaves. Stir and add chopped onions.
- Let the onions cook until slightly golden in color.
- Now add salt, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, and red chili powder. Stir and add tomatoes and green chili.
- Cook until tomatoes are soft. Finally, add bread pieces, mix and sprinkle few drops of water.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves., mix well.
- Serve and enjoy.
If your bread is dry, sprinkle more water in the end when cooking.Adjust the spices as per your taste . upma, how to make bread upma, leftover bread recipes, leftover bread upmaTried this recipe.